Training Pathways

Careers in the Outdoors

Training Pathways

Types of Jobs Available in the Outdoors

Outdoor Activity and Recreation Provider

  • Rock Climbing Guide
  • Skiing instructor
  • School Camp Activity Instructor
  • Water sports instructor (Kayaking, Rafting, Canoeing, Surfing guides and instructors, etc)
  • Fishing Tour Provider
  • Travel Guide

Program Officer (Outdoor Camps)

  • School Camp Activity Instructor
  • School Camp Program Assistant
  • School Camp Facilitator
  • Outdoor Education Teacher

Program Logistics and Team Leaders

  • Outdoor Camp Manager
  • Outdoor Camp Activities Programmer
  • Recreation Risk Manager
  • Camp Administrator
  • Recreation Events Manager
  • Programs Co-ordinator

Outdoor Educators

  • Bush Kindergarden Teacher
  • Primary School Teacher (P-6)
  • Secondary School Teacher (7-12)
  • TAFE Teacher
  • University Lecturer
  • School Camp Teacher
  • Zoo & Parks Teacher

Paid Positions at State Activity Peaks, Clubs and Community Groups

  • Social Media Manager
  • Administration Assistant
  • Events co-ordinator
  • Finance Officer
  • Field Staff Manager
  • Project Officer
  • Policy Writer
  • Community Group Manager

Bush Adventure Therapist

  • Wilderness Adventure Therapist
  • Adventure Intervention Officer
  • Bush Adventure Therapy Facilitator
  • Director Therapist
  • Outdoor Educators

Qualification Pathways

TAFE & Registered Training Organisations (RTOS)

  • Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation
  • Diploma of Outdoor Recreation
  • Diploma of Outdoor Leadership
  • Diploma in Business Management
  • Diploma of Communication & Social Media
  • Diploma of Outdoor Education
  • Diploma of Early Childhood
  • Diploma of Youth Work

Higher Education

  • Bachelor of Nature Tourism
  • Bachelor of Education
  • (P-12 and/or Outdoor Education)
  • Bachelor of Arts (Sports Administration)
  • Bachelor Degree (Finance, Business, Marketing, Tourism, etc.)
  • Bachelor of Business Management
  • Bachelor of Health Sciences
  • Graduate study in Family Therapy and System Therapy
  • Masters of Business Administration
  • Master of Public Health
  • Master of Social Work
  • Masters of Teaching
Have you considered a traineeship?

One year of paid work with an Outdoor Leadership qualification (Cert IV) at the end!

Directly contact one of the TAFE’s or Registered Training Organisations listed below

Have you considered a career change?

Whether you’ve just begun your search for a job or you’re looking for a change, the Outdoor Education Innovation Hub can help you build a meaningful, lifelong career in the outdoor education industry while you explore the natural world. Check out their website and submit an expression of interest for further information:

Where to Study

Tertiary Courses – TAFE & Registered Training Organisations (RTOS)

Tertiary Courses – Universities