Being an outdoor activity and recreation provider is a broad category that encompasses a range of positions, including an outdoor activity instructor, activity staff member, outdoor education assistant, or group leader. These roles are not always tied to specific camps or locations; for example, you may be a qualified kayak instructor and own and operate a small kayaking company; you may work with multiple schools, and community groups at many different locations.
Popular job titles in this job include:
- Rock Climbing Guide
- Skiing Instructor
- School Camp Activity Instructor
- Watersports Instructor (Kayaking, Rafting, Canoeing, Surfing guides & Instructor, etc.)
- Fishing Tour Provider
- Travel Guide
A career fit for those who like to..
- Be active & spend time outdoors
- Share new outdoor experiences with others
- Challenge themselves & others
Casual & Freelance
$15 – $60 per hour*
*Hourly rates vary based on activity
and/or service being provided.
Contracted & Salary
$35k – $75k per year*
*Dependants on skills, qualification, activity, provider, etc.
Study pathways to this job may include:
Registered Training Providers (RTOs):
- Swift Water Rescue
- Wilderness First Aid
- Activity specific e.g. Climbing, Bushwalking, Paddling, etc.
- Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation
- Diploma of Outdoor Recreation
- Bachelor of Nature Tourism
- Bachelor of Outdoor Education