DET’s School Operations Guide was released to schools on Sunday night, Oct 4, 2020 so we can now confirm that Regional Victoria’s Schools are permitted to go on camps and related outdoor activities (including excursions) in regional Victoria.
This is consistent with the Deputy Premier Merlino’s announcement at the press conference on Monday, September 21.
- DET’s School camps during coronavirus (COVID-19) (This current DET link will apparently be archived soon so below are the links you will soon be directed to!)
- There is no group size limit.
- Providers can only accept bookings from single schools for the same time period.
- Camps will be limited to single schools from regional Victoria and can only take place outside metropolitan Melbourne.
- Students and staff who live in metropolitan Melbourne and work or study at a school in regional Victoria can attend off-site excursions and school camps.
- Schools are required to follow the Department’s Excursions policy (including camps and adventure activities) from the Policy and Advisory Library; including the requirement for risk management planning.
Outdoors Victoria and the Australian Camps Association continue to provide strong advocacy and expert advice with the DET, and other related government agencies and Ministers, for the return of camps when students return to face to face learning in Greater Melbourne.
- Many of the year groups will be commencing on Monday 12 October
- Years 8-10 will be commencing on Oct 26, 2020
We will continue to keep you updated with any developments
Parks Victoria announcement :
In line with the DET’s permission that schools in regional areas can go on camps in regional areas, Parks Victoria has also confirmed that hiking and outdoor activity camps across the government’s Parks estate can go ahead for regional schools in regional Victoria.
View the recently updated Parks Victoria page which reflects these updates.
- Regional Victorian schools conducting camps and outdoor activities are not bound by public gathering limits, provided the activities are for educational purposes.
- Parks Victoria ask that all educators and Licensed Tour Operators (LTOs) register their programs through ParkConnect, record all attendee details, ensure good hygiene practices, and practice physical distancing.